What's Toxic in your Home?
Did you know that the average home contains over 50 toxic chemicals that over time causes havoc to your body! This can explain why more and more people suffer from asthma, hormonal problems, headaches, depression and frequent sickness. The cleaning products that you use for your kitchen and bathroom contain harmful toxins that are stored in the fatty tissues of your brain through inhalation, absorption and usage.
It's not just cleaning products for your home that are dangerous, it's also cleaning products for your body that are harmful. Shampoos, conditioners, hair spray, hair color, body washes, deodorant, shaving lotions, make up, mouth washes etc.
Checking the labels on all products used for your home or body is important. Avoid products with words that you don't understand, or if there is a warning label on it. The general rule is that if you wouldn't taste it in your mouth, don't put it on your body. It only takes 26 seconds for whatever you put on your body to be absorbed into your bloodstream.
Here is a list of chemicals that you should be aware of, and avoid:
Alcohol is mostly found in mouthwashes, creams, moisturizers, lubricants and most hair and skin products. Alcohol Derivatives by themselves can severely impact your skin. They interfere with your body's ability to process and absorb Vitamin A. The result can be dilated blood vessels, increased flushing of your skin and decreased absorption of Vitamin A. Alcohol also has a drying effect to the skin, and has been linked to mouth and throat cancers.
There are alternatives alcohols that are actually safe for your skin and health. They are known as fatty alcohols, such as:
- Cetyl Alcohol - Derived from coconuts.
- Stearyl Alcohol - Also derived from coconut oil.
- Cetearyl Alcohol - Derived from natural oils.
- Lanolin Alcohol - Derived from Sheep's Wool.
Aluminum is mostly found in skin deodorant and antiperspirants. Its compounds have been linked with Alzheimer's disease, respiratory disorders and breast cancer. When used as an aerosol spray, it causes more brain damage, as it's easily absorbed through your nasal passages into your brain.
The best alternative is to use crystal deodorant stones, which are very effective, non greasy or sticky, and are safe to use.
Butane and Propane are colorless and odorless gases that are used in many cosmetic and personal products. Formulations of cleansing products, shaving creams, hair conditioners and make up include these compressed gases.
In extreme doses, oxygen deficiency can occur, which can lead to asphyxiation. Butane and Propane are also known to be toxic and flammable for the environment.
Diethanolamine is a substance used as a wetting agent for most lotions, creams, shampoos and cosmetics. It increases the foaming action in a product making it more easily absorbed by your skin. DEA is not harmful by itself while sitting on store shelves, or in your cabinet at home.
It becomes extremely toxic when mixed with other ingredients in the product, and causes a bad carcinogen reaction which is absorbed by your skin. This has been linked to stomach, liver and bladder cancers.
Artificial Flavoring and Coloring
There is a rainbow of color dyes available to create any color combination for any household or edible product. These artificial flavoring and coloring are found in everything, from toothpastes and mouthwashes to flavoured children's medicine.
These dyes are harmful, as they cause changes at the cellular level, which is carcinogenic, and linked to cause cancer. Children consuming such products that are non-ADD can become hyperactive.
It's best to avoid these artificial preservatives in foods and products for health reasons, as they are toxic and lack nutritional value compared to all natural products.
Propylene Glycol is a form of anti-freeze for many household products. It is found in processed foods, pet food, laundry detergents, floor wax, paints, deodorants, shaving creams/gels, shampoos and conditioners.
Purchasing a bottle of Propylene Glycol on it's own has a warning label that says
Avoid Contact With Skin. Even with low levels of concentration, this solvent has found to inhibit skin cell growth, cause skin irritations, dermatitis and liver and kidney damage.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is found in most detergents, stain removers, carpet cleaners, dish soaps, shampoos, bubble baths and toothpastes.
This solvent is a cheap type of foaming agent which over time can build up in your heart, lungs, liver and brain. It can also cause cataracts and lead to improper eye development in children under 6.
It's also commonly used as a cleaning agent in the automotive industry. Car wash soaps, garage floor cleaners and engine degreasers are some examples. SLS attacks all greasy surfaces and is highly corrosive.
- The Red Door
- Nature Underfoot
- Havenly Rejuvenation
- Redesigning your Home
- Foods To Improve Your Mood
- Natural Indian beauty Secrets
- Beauty Secrets for the Eyes
- Trace Minerals from the Sea
- Headache - Get Relief Now
- Food for the Brain
- Vibration of Food
- 101 Health Quotes
- Natural Skin Care
|Tweet this||Share on Facebook|