Yoga for Kyphosis
Written by Dr. Minakshi Welukar.
Yoga is known to calm your nerves by correcting posture and getting rid of deleterious kyphosis.
Kyphosis, a spinal abnormality, not only hampers your look but also affects your physical well-being. As kyphosis can create a speculative impression among your peers, it’s a major source of frustration. Your mood and your productivity can also be affected with such abnormality.
Not to worry, yoga is your best supporter if you are living with hurtful symptoms of kyphosis. Yoga is a great way to get extra mileage by correcting posture, sustaining a positive mood and enhancing your body’s internal energy.
Kyphosis Leading to Abnormality
Kyphosis is an abnormal spinal posture characterized by excessive rounding of the thoracic spine (portion between the upper and middle back). A popular train of thought is that osteoporosis, degenerative diseases, and vitamin D deficiency can lead to Kyphosis. However, a carefree lifestyle with poor posture is precisely the reason why you notice an excessive curve in your back.
Kyphosis restricts body mobility and hampers normal breathing that can disturb daily functioning. Excessive hunchback ruins your cosmetic appearance too and keeps you feeling “less than” your colleagues. Additionally, kyphosis leads to loss of balance and increases chances of falling, difficulty sleeping and persistent backaches.
Yoga for Kyphosis
Your back movements don’t flow quite as smoothly as they should when you have an excessive curve. Because the back is the main supporter of the body, it’s extremely important to ensure its curve and function for all the actions it has to perform. The general rule is to keep moving to maintain spinal alignment.
A study assessing the effects of yoga among women with hyperkyphosis showed that yoga is safe, acceptable and can improve posture. A pilot study published in the American Journal of Public Health stated that: women with hyperkyphosis who were offered hatha yoga experienced positive physical and mental effects. Women who had practiced hatha yoga, a combination of breathing and movement, showed an increased postural awareness and a more elongated spine. Women showed an improved sense of well-being, a feeling of relaxation and a peaceful state of mind.
Each yoga pose has an aim to accomplish a particular target. As yoga poses are approached with a calm and meditative mindset, the body can achieve a definite goal. So yoga in a comprehensive manner can help deal with the physical and mental issues of kyphosis.
Benefits of Yoga to Correct Kyphosis
- A body-mind integration of yoga deals with the physical and emotional well-being and corrects lifestyle associated physical problems.
- Strengthening and stretching exercises correct underlying muscular and bio mechanical issues that cause kyphosis.
- Increased strength and flexibility of underlying muscles help to improve the spinal alignment that streamlines your back.
- Experience a freedom in body movements that you never imagined before.
- Yoga makes you content to live on the edge of your potential. Give you a fresh start and correct your poor posture.
Yoga poses for Kyphosis
Yoga poses beneficial in reducing excessive rounding of the thoracic spine are:
- Bridge pose (Setu Bandasana)
- Locust pose (Salabhasana)
- Cobra pose (Bhujangasana)
- Mountain pose (Tadasana)
Ensure your yoga trainer is knowledgeable enough to advise you suitable poses for correcting Kyphosis. Practice those that work best for you and enjoy a graceful and healthy life.
- 6 Yoga Poses to Make you Look Taller
- VIDEO - Practicing yoga can lengthen, tone and stretch your body to improve your posture. Yoga causes your shoulders to roll back instead of forward, which gives you an instant appearance of being taller.
- Read more of Dr. Minakshi Welukar.
- See more tagged in health.
- Yoga for Seniors
- Yoga for Stress
- Yoga for Anxiety
- Yoga for Asthma
- Yoga for Thyroid
- Yoga for Smoking
- Yoga for Vertigo
- Yoga for Insomnia
- Yoga for Diabetes
- Yoga for Addictions
- Yoga for Depression
- Power of Meditation
- Misguided Meditation
- Yoga for Hearing Loss
- Yoga to Keep you Slim
- Yoga for Osteoarthritis
- Yoga and Staying Young
- Yoga for Cancer Patients
- Alternate Nostril Breathing
- Yoga and Coping with Death
- Yoga for High Blood Pressure
- Yoga to Improve Blood Circulation
- Yoga for Breast Cancer Survivors
- Yoga for Cancer: Feeling The Fear
- Yoga for Cancer: Taking off the Mask
- Best Yoga Poses for Cancer Therapy
- Using Yoga To Repair Damaged IT Bands