Shoulder Stand - Salamba Sarvangasana
Shoulder stand literally means "stand on your shoulders." It's considered the best yoga posture if you had to choose one. It is known as the queen of poses, which is normally done after headstand, which is the king of poses. Practicing shoulder stand improves blood flow to the brain, as with other inversions. It stimulates all the digestive, nervous, hormonal and endocrine systems of the body. It does so in a way that improves the function of these systems in a way that any other form of exercise or diet can't.
Benefits of Shoulder Stand
The main benefit of shoulder stand is that you reverse the effect of gravity by revitalizing the organs as pressure is relieved from the lower region of the body, which decreases aches and swelling of the legs and feet. It also strengthens the lower organs, keeping them in place.
This also increases circulation bringing fresh blood and nutrients to the upper regions of the body. The thyroid gland gets stimulated therefore it's function is drastically improved. Having an under active thyroid gland can be linked with depression. This gland can also become overactive, and symptoms of this can be sweating, shaking and anxiety. Improved outlook on life, youthful looks and a faster metabolism are the effect with regular practice.
With this improved blood flow in shoulder stand, you can heal many discomforts the natural way. Headaches, congestion, constipation, asthma, sore throats and women's disorders, like painful menstruation can be healed or diminished completely. It also regulates the sex glands, keeping you balanced and helps to drain the lymph flow, improving immunity.
Shoulder stand provides a good stretch to the shoulders, back and neck muscles. This can help with lower back pain, because it stretches the entire spine and keeps it strong. It also tones the abdominal muscles and legs.
This pose can be performed before bedtime, as it promotes deep sleep and helps those with insomnia. It calms and refreshes your mind to keep you relaxed.You can hold this pose for at least 30 seconds building your way up to a few minutes.
Steps for Shoulder Stand
- Lie on your back with legs straight.
- Bring one knee into the chest, then the other.
- Straighten and raise one leg at a time to point your feet upwards.
- Exhale and kick backwards with both feet at once, to bring your hips off the floor. Support your hips with your hands.
- Slowly move one hand at a time towards your upper back until your body is vertical. Your chin should touch your chest.
- Hold this posture as long as you can to gain the most benefits and breath regularly.
- To come out of the pose, slowly lower your body vertebra by vertebra starting with your upper back, to the floor. Bend your knees and stretch your body and rest.
See more Yoga Poses