Indian Beauty Secrets
You are refreshing and vital as the air, graceful and tender as sparkling water, lustrous and consuming as flames of fire, generous and enveloping as space and stable and deep as the earth.. you elemental woman are perfect beauty itself.
Ancient essay on the five elemental women of Indian mythology
Indians have always understood and worshipped nature and its power way back from 1500 BC. They understood how the energy of water, wind, fire, earth and space had such restoring benefits to the body and mind. An abundance of natural plants that grew all around them were used to beautify their skin, hair, eyes and cure diseases. This knowledge of herbs has been passed down from generations by wise and experienced sages, which is now known as Ayurveda.
Indians live by the fact that your body responds well to natural ingredients compared to chemicals. This has been known for thousands of years. Nature has been a great source of inspiration when trying to find beauty remedies. Most of the beauty culture is based on wisdom from past experiences that have been passed down from mothers to daughters.
The Indian tradition believes that the body is like a temple, a shelter in which the truth and energy reside. It is believed that the body needs special care internally and externally to prepare it for god. The Hindus say that the physical body protects the soul, just like an onion with many layers of mind, body and intellect, therefore it should be cleaned and taken care of. The body is made up of five elements: earth, air, water, fire and ether. It is said that on death they resolve to their initial state. The bodies of great people are believed to have a golden aura of pure light.
Bathing is of great importance in the Indian tradition. It is considered more than a physical cleansing, but also a spiritual cleansing that can be auspicious at certain times. No soap was used back in the days. Different natural oils were used for the face, body and hair with various herbal waters.
Bathing is a time for relaxation, a private time for yourself to play out fantasies in your mind and spoil yourself. A good bath should leave your body, mind and spirit refreshed.
Rose Bath Oil
Rosewater has healing affects to your body and soul. The delicate floral fragrance is quite pleasing and known to benefit your skin by keeping it toned and hydrated.
Almond oil is a great skin moisturizer that nourishes your skin without clogging your pores. This natural oil comes from pressed almonds that is easily absorbed by your skin to promote clear, soft, glowing beautiful skin.
The shampoo in this recipe helps to keep the oil from sticking to your bathtub, and lets it cling on to your skin instead.
- 1 cup almond oil
- 2 tbsp shampoo
- 4 tbsp rosewater
- fragrant rose petals (optional)
- Whisk together all the ingredients well and place in a bottle.
- Pour a little of this into your warm bath and enjoy.
- If you wish, you can sprinkle a few rose petals on top to add more fragrance to your bath.
Moisturizers are important in keeping your skin soft and hydrated, especially during the winter months. Always remember to treat your neck with all the goodies you use on your face.
Applying cocoa powder to your face leaves your skin beautiful, hydrated and glowing. It contains nutrients and antioxidants to protect your skin from free radicals, which cause skin damage. Chocolate is known to increase the levels of serotonin that helps to regulate your hormones and keep you happy and relaxed.
The cocoa in this moisturiser will not stain your face. Together with almond oil and rosewater it will nourish and rejuvenate your face keeping it smooth and lovely.
- 2 tbsp almond oil
- 2 tbsp lanolin
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp rosewater
- Pour the almond oil, lanolin and cocoa powder in a heatproof glass.
- Place the bowl over a pan of water on low heat. Mix until melted.
- Use only a wooden spoon to mix, as metal will have a negative reaction.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and add the rosewater, while stirring.
- Once the cream has cooled, place it in a glass container.
- Apply on your face and neck at night before bed to enjoy the benefits.
- Facial Yoga Massage for Youthful Skin Video
- VIDEO - Facial yoga is great to release tension and relax your facial muscles. Here is a video of some facial yoga exercises to make you look younger.
- 7 Yoga Poses for Glowing Skin Video
- VIDEO - Practicing yoga on a regular basis can help you look more youthful, vibrant and beautiful throughout your whole life. Here are 7 yoga postures for healthy looking skin.
- See more tagged in health.
- Yoga Pranayama to Sustain Beauty
- 10 Healthy Summer Cleanse Foods
- Natural Ways to Prevent Wrinkles
- Enhance your Beauty with Yoga
- 7 Foods to Improve your Mood
- 4 Beauty Secrets for the Eyes
- How to Stay Young with Yoga
- Trace Minerals from the Sea
- Headache - Get Relief Now
- Yoga for Attractive Boobs
- Back to Basics Skin Care
- Yoga for Eternal Youth
- Yoga for Healthy Hair
- 101 Beauty Quotes
- Natural Skin Care
- Vibration of Food
- Epsom Salt Bath
- Colour Healing