Yoga for Healthy Hair
Written by Dr. Minakshi Welukar.
In current era of modernization, hair plays a vital role in enhancing your look. Hair has its own role in improving your beauty, self-image and social sensing. Healthy and gorgeous hair marks out your personality while dry, brittle, frizzy hair hampers your look. Hair loss and damaged hair from over styling seems to be more common these days.
Hair quality is the reflection of your internal health and personal hygiene, which outright your lifestyle pattern. Hair problems may be an indication of internal pathologies also.
Many times we are using expensive hair products advertised on T.V., newspapers, or health magazines to prevent hair problems but still unable to control them. You may also visit cosmetologist to solve your problem, but you forget the easiest and most economical remedy at your hand, yoga. Yes... yoga has a beneficial role in imparting healthy hair.
Understanding the Reason for Hair Problems
As per National Institute of Health, hair loss and infection are the commonest hair problems encountered in everyday life.
Stress and strain of daily work, nutritional deficiencies associated with unhealthy diet or digestive problems, poor blood supply to scalp, hormonal imbalance and immune system disturbances are some of the well-known reasons for hair loss and infection.
Role of Yoga in Healthy Hair
Whatever the reason behind hair problems, yoga works best in providing quality life to hair. Yoga does not directly deal with the hair problems, but yogic asanas and breathing techniques help to address the root reasons causing them.
Yoga Poses & Breathing Techniques for Healthy Beautiful Hair
Headstand - Sirsasana
Headstand or an inversion is a yoga pose where you stand upside down. This pose increases blood flow to the scalp, so that hair follicles can receive enough oxygen and nutrients. Such strong hair follicles prevent shedding of hair and lead to healthy hair growth.
Diamond Pose - Vajrasan
Vajrasan or sitting with the help of knees improve digestive system and alleviate acidity or constipation problems. Hence, body can absorb adequate nutrients from food and supply them to the hair. Additionally, vajrasan improves body immunity to fight against scalp infections.
Downward Dog - Adho Mukha Svanasana
Peculiar V-shape of a body with downward dog pose increases blood flow to the brain and scalp. This improves brain function and makes you calm and clear, so that you are able to tackle with stressful situation.
Cobra Pose - Bhujangasana
Attempting a posture of cobra with raised hood stimulates abdominal organ and improves digestion, improve heart-lung functioning and oxygen content in blood as well as blood circulation to the scalp.
Yoga Vidya Gurukul documented following breathing techniques to achieve healthy body. Attending healthy and balanced body is ultimately the way for healthy hair.
Slow inhalation with fast and jerky exhalation carried out under kapalbhati provides the wider range of health benefits. This improves brain function, blood circulation to a scalp, functioning of abdominal organ and digestion. So take care of most of the issues leading to hair loss.
Alternate nostril breathing/Nadi Shodhan/Anuloma Viloma
Alternate nostril breathing performed in nadi shodhan creates balance between body and mind. Nadi shodhan increases oxygen concentration in blood, removes blood toxins, and effective in managing stress and mental illnesses.
Rhythmic inhalation and exhalation accelerate diaphragmatic movement, a main muscle for respiration. This in turn stimulates heart and lung muscles, facilitate gas exchange and improve blood oxygen concentration as well as blood circulation to a scalp.
Humming Bee Breathe/Bhramari
Besides yoga eating a nutritious diet, sleeping well, and maintaining personal hygiene are some other ways to cope with hair problems.
- 6 Yoga Poses for Hair Growth Video
- VIDEO - Long healthy hair is a reflection of beauty, vitality and youth. Here are some yoga postures that you can practice at home to help reduce hair loss and improve hair growth.
- 4 Yoga Inversions for Hair Loss Video
- VIDEO - When your body is upside down, gravity is assisting to move these stuck impurities out of our system. This allows for fresh nutrients to replenish the old, so new growth can occur.
- Homemade Hair Mask Video
- VIDEO - Here is a simple homemade hair mask with ingredients straight from your kitchen. These all natural moisturizers will add softness and shine to your hair without using any chemicals.
- Read more of Dr. Minakshi Welukar.
- See more tagged in health.
- Can Yoga Enhance your Powers of Attraction?
- Can Yoga Improve Your Self-Confidence?
- The Spiritual Reasons for Long Hair
- Enhance your Beauty with Yoga
- 7 Yoga Poses for Glowing Skin
- 10 Healthy Summer Cleanse Foods
- Natural Ways to Prevent Wrinkles
- Anti-aging Secrets of Facial Yoga
- 7 Foods to Improve your Mood
- 4 Beauty Secrets for the Eyes
- Natural Indian Beauty Secrets
- How to Stay Young with Yoga
- Trace Minerals from the Sea
- Headache - Get Relief Now
- Yoga for Thyroid Problems
- Can Yoga Make you Taller?
- Yoga for Attractive Boobs
- Staying Young with Yoga
- Back to Basics Skin Care
- Yoga for Eternal Youth
- 101 Beauty Quotes
- Natural Skin Care