8 Yoga Asanas for a Healthy Heart
Written by Manmohan Singh.
Summary: Learn to practice amazing eight yoga postures that help an individual keep their heart healthy.
Today, the bitter truth is there is no age-factor that determines your heart-health. You may be in your twenties or late sixties but with a busy schedule, a time-bound lifestyle characterized by stress, depression, poor nutrition, various common ailments take a toll on your physical health. In this scenario, keeping a good heart health can seem like a daunting task; you have to keep a check on your cholesterol level, eat right and exercise regularly. Not sure where to start? This is where the traditional discipline of yoga can be incorporated into your daily life to repel the negative effects of a fast-paced life and set you on the road to a healthy heart and happiness.
Yoga has proven to be a natural and healthy solution for the heart patients. As you practice the various yoga postures, it significantly affects the external and internal organs, including the respiratory system which in turn is highly advantageous for the heart. Here is a list of certain benefits of yoga that play a significant role in maintaining the cardiac health:
- Lower Blood Pressure
- Lower Bad Cholesterol Level
- Improved Heart Rate
- Enhanced Lung Capacity
There is no question that the chronic stress exerts physiological effects on the body, including the heart. Whether you are anxious because of the traffic-choked commute, unhappy relationship or an overbearing boss--all these have been linked to a wide array of harmful heart diseases. Moreover, it interferes with your sleep, behavior, mood, and appetite. The art of yoga is a holistic panacea that can help you get rid of the undulating stress and can heal the patients physically and mentally.
Here is a list of eight yoga postures that you can practice for a healthy heart:
Begin in Samasthiti asana. Upon inhalation; raise your arms up above the head and keep them vertical to the floor. Upon exhalation; bend your knees and keep your thighs equidistant from the floor. Slightly lower your hips to the ground and keep your breathing relaxed. Gaze in the forward direction.
Extended Hand to Toe Pose
Begin in Tadasana. Shift your weight to your left leg and bend your right knee. Slowly, stretch your right leg up and above. Balancing your weight on your left leg, extend your right hand out. Loop your index finger around the toe of the right foot and place the other hand on your hip.
Stand upright and tall on a yoga mat with awareness to your breath. Align the kneecap of one leg with its ankle and turn this leg out to a 90-degree angle. Bend towards the ground at the hips keeping your waist straight. Raise one hand up towards the ceiling and outstretch the other arm and place the palm on the ground.
Stand straight on a yoga mat with hands by your side and weight evenly distributed across the balls and arches of the feet. Inhale; raise your arms overhead and fold them in prayer position. Elongate your torso while you breathe and relax your shoulders when you breathe out.
Lie in a supine position with legs extended in front of you. Curve your knees and bring your stilettos near to your hips. Press your hands and feet firmly on the ground and lift your posterior and back off the mat. You can either keep your hands by your side or clutch them underneath your back.
Seated Forward Bend
Sit tall on a floor with legs stretched in front of you. Inhale; raise your arms up and as you breathe out bend ahead at the hips and bring your arms down. Hold the feet with your hands and rest your chest and head on the thighs. Remain in this pose for 20-30 seconds.
Reach down on the floor on your fours and keep your arms at right angle to the floor. Upon exhalation; push your navel inward, tuck your tailbone out and bring your chin close to your chest. Make sure your neck is relaxed.
Standing Forward Bend
Stand erect and tall on a yoga mat. As you breathe in, uplift your arms up toward the ceiling and as you breathe out hinge down at the hips. Lower your arms and place your palms on the back of the ankles.
Practice these amazing yoga asanas on a regular basis and make your way to a healthy heart.
Author Bio: Manmohan Singh is a passionate Yogi, Yoga Teacher and a Traveller in India. He provides yoga teacher training in Rishikesh, India. He loves writing and reading the books related to yoga, health, nature and the Himalayas. For more information about him visit his website rishikulyogshala.com.
- Can Yoga Enhance attraction?
- VIDEO - Have you ever noticed that most yogi's seem to have a vibrant and youthful glow? Find out how yoga can enhance your powers of attraction.
- Facial Yoga Massage for Youthful Skin Video
- VIDEO - Facial yoga is great to release tension and relax your facial muscles. Here is a video of some facial yoga exercises to make you look younger.
- 7 Yoga Poses for Glowing Skin Video
- VIDEO - Practicing yoga on a regular basis can help you look more youthful, vibrant and beautiful throughout your whole life. Here are 7 yoga postures for healthy looking skin.
- Can Yoga Enhance your Powers of Attraction?
- Can Yoga Improve Your Self-Confidence?
- 3 Ways to Use Yoga to Heal Yourself
- The Spiritual Reasons for Long Hair
- Enhance your Beauty with Yoga
- 7 Yoga Poses for Glowing Skin
- 10 Healthy Summer Cleanse Foods
- Food, Prana and Love Magnetism
- Natural Ways to Prevent Wrinkles
- Anti-aging Secrets of Facial Yoga
- 7 Foods to Improve your Mood
- 4 Beauty Secrets for the Eyes
- Natural Indian Beauty Secrets
- How to Stay Young with Yoga
- Trace Minerals from the Sea
- Headache - Get Relief Now
- Yoga for Thyroid Problems
- Can Yoga Make you Taller?
- Yoga for Attractive Boobs
- Staying Young with Yoga
- Back to Basics Skin Care
- Yoga for Eternal Youth
- Yoga of Sexual Energy
- 101 Beauty Quotes
- Natural Skin Care