Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that
leads to wisdom.
As Dr. Deepak Chopra says, we have 60,000 thoughts per day. 95 percent of them are what we thought about yesterday or the past. This means that we aren't living in the present moment, since our mind is always wondering back and forth through time.
In between our thoughts, there are silent spaces. The goal of meditation is to increase the time of this silent space between our thoughts. This will ultimately give us relaxation.
The greater space between one's thoughts, the more relaxation we get and the mind can figure out a solution to one's problems. It does not mean your problem is solved, but the space is going to give you ideas on how to solve it. You do have your karmas to deal with, but meditation is like having an umbrella while walking through the rain.
- When you pray, you talk to God, when you meditate, God talks to you.
- Meditation is to connect with ourselves. It is a mental vacation for a few minutes.
- Meditation is a way to train the mind to replace the chatter of your thoughts by clearing the mind and focusing on the present moment.
- Meditation is an effective way of absorbing universal healing (cosmic) energy.
- Recharge by tapping into the energy of the higher power.
- It is the art of inner listening.
- By freeing yourself from thoughts, meditation allows you to listen to yourself. The soul is cleansed.
- Meditation energizes you. Try not to do it before bed, as you may not fall asleep after. Only a short meditation to give thanks to all the people and blessings in your life for that day is recommended.
- Answers are within us but they are hidden by noise (chatter of your thoughts) and obstacles. Quiet the mind to see what the answers are.
Various Meditation Techniques:
Meditating on a candle flame is known as
Trataka - where the mind, eyes and object are all aligned. This method is a way
to connect your physical body (world) to your spiritual body (world) through your third eye - ajna chakra.
This meditation enhances deep focus and concentration.
- Sit in a comfortable position keeping your eyes open.
- Engage in yogic breathing with long inhalations and exhalations.
- Keep a lit candle at your eye level on a coffee table and keep it about just under a metre away from yourself.
- Focus on the candle flame as your focal point. (If you can't stare directly at the flame you can look at the image of the flame for a few seconds.
- Do not blink unless your eyes start to water.
- Blink your eyes, and wipe the water.
- Open your eyes again and repeat the process.
- Your eyes will water again.
- Do this 2-3 times then wash your eyes out with water.
- This meditation will cleanse your eyes.
Gazing at a candle is a beginner method towards learning to meditate. This should be practiced every day for best results. It may take about one year before you begin to realize the benefit of clearing your mind.
- Candle Gazing Meditation Video
- VIDEO - Candle Gazing Meditation (known as Tratak) strengthens your physical eyes and the nerve centres in your forehead. It's also a powerful psychic cleanser of the ajna chakra, the 'third eye'.
Meditating on a specific mantra, such as the word Om is quite soothing. OM is the original vibration symbol, pronounced as AUM. Continuous chanting has the ability to control the mind. The word mantra means freedom from constant worries. Chanting words have positive energy and vibrations, which go to the brain cells and to the cells of your body.
- By chanting you release the energy that vibrates in every cell of your body.
- Try to get lost in the sound and surrender to its rhythm.
- Mantra is a sequence of sound designed to direct the mind. Since we know the mind is like an untrained monkey, mantras help to direct this monkey.
- Remember to vibrate the Mantra in the body (Not sing it aloud).
- Create your own Mantras.
This method of meditating requires a lot of practice initially, but is very worth it. Consider practicing stillness (inside and outside) and silence for 2 minutes while sitting in a comfortable pose.
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- If thoughts come, let them sweep over you and do not interact with them.
- Chant the mantra of your choice for 2 minutes.
- Sit still for 2 minutes.
- Keep repeating your mantra, and let it come from your heart.
- Do not use your lips anymore. Chant inside your body.
- Keep chanting in silence.
- At this point, ask God for anything.
- Ask God for love, respect, kindness and forgiveness (non material things).
- Do not ask God for winning the lottery (material things). The only thing you take from this life is your Karma .
- Rub your hands and massage your face. Absorb the blessings for the minute.
OM SHANTI SHANTI OMbefore you get up.
- OM Meditation Video
- VIDEO - The chanting of 'OM' has a positive effect on your nervous system. Here is an OM Meditation to help awaken latent physical and mental powers.
In time as you progress in your meditation practice, you will notice some positive feelings. You will feel success in meditation when:
- You feel light and relaxed at the end of your meditation.
- Your attitude will change with time.
- You begin to live in the present moment, without carrying the past or future with you.
- You're level of stress, anxiety, depression and irritability decreases.
- You feel much happier and more energized.
- When you start to see no differences between yourself and others. We are all the same, part of the same God (source). We are all interconnected.
- When desires start to subside.
- When you start to respond to situations as you believe your GOD would respond.
- When you are less jealous, less angry and less negative, then you are more at peace.
- Seated Meditation by the Sea Video
- VIDEO - Studies have shown that it doesn't matter much how you meditate, just as long as you do it regularly. This yoga meditation will surely relax you and increase your patience and endurance.
- Anusara Yoga
- Art of Breathing
- 101 Yoga Quotes
- 101 Karma Quotes
- 101 Spiritual Quotes
- 101 Awareness Quotes
- 101 Meditation Quotes
- Learning to Let Go
- Yoga and Buddhism
- Yoga of Meditation
- Beginner's Mind Yoga
- Setting your Intention
- The Many Faces of Yoga
- Keeping a Light Heart
- Clearing away negativity
- A Yogic & Holistic Perspective
- Earth Web: We are all connected
- Meditation To Feel Happier at Work